| The City of Norton is Accepting Applications for the Following Positions:
|The Positions Will Be Open Until Filled. E.O.E., M/F/D.|
FULL-TIME MAINTENANCE WORKER: This full-time position performs a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and construction tasks in the Parks and Cemetery department. Position requires high school diploma or equivalent, a Kansas Driver’s License, and possession of a KS Commercial Driver’s License within 6 months of hire date. Some maintenance experience preferred. Starting salary is $12.813/hr plus benefits. Position open until filled. E.O.E. M/F/D.
ELECTRIC DISTRIBUTION SUPERVISOR: This full-time position supervises and participates in the operation, installation, maintenance and repair of overhead and underground electrical distribution systems and electrical maintenance of various city buildings and facilities. A Kansas Driver’s License is required and must possess a Commercial Driver’s License within six months of hire date. Salary range is $51,066 to $74,992, based on qualifications. Send resume to City Administrator, P.O. Box 160, Norton, Kansas 67654. Position open until filled. E.O.E. M/F/D. The complete job description and education/experience requirements are below:
Summary: Supervise the operation of the City of Norton Electric Distribution System, including the coordination of routine and emergency switching and service restoration to maintain optimum system operating conditions. Ensure proper communication to the appropriate supervisor, and function level management.
Key Roles & Responsibilities - Other duties may be assigned. Directly or through others, the incumbent:
- Ensures that all safety procedures involved in the distribution system operation are followed at all times to protect the public, city personnel and equipment.
- Supervises, maintains and monitors the integrity of the electric distribution system including the direction of all restoration activities within the area of responsibility with the principal front line responsibility during after hours, weekends and holidays.
- Develops and maintains lines of communication between the City Administrator and internal staff regarding system operations including emergency and management level notifications.
- Ensures proper record keeping and corrections and compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Provides for training, coaching and job related experience in support of employee growth and development. Responsible for tracking employee training progression.
- Supervise and direct line crew in the safe construction, maintenance, operation, and retirement of distribution lines; Administer procedures for service restoration of overhead and underground facilities, and all related electrical equipment.
- Perform the duties of a Lineman, as needed, as a member of a line crew.
- Supervise and administer procedures for rapid restoration of service and line switching requirements to result in prompt and reliable service to customers.
- Assume responsibility for care and safe use of tools and equipment.
- Direct or perform switching operations; Request, make, and accept line clearances.
- Make recommendations for performance evaluations, promotions, demotions, transfers, discipline, leaves of absence, hiring, and dismissal of assigned personnel; Mentor and develop line mechanics.
- Understand and apply the provisions of the City of Norton Employee Manual as well as any applicable city code and direction of the City Administrator.
- Perform all duties and work with other employees, as well as the general public, in a safe manner, in compliance with all appropriate safety policies and rules.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of ethical behavior and support the City’s policy as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
Education, Experience, & Skills -- The minimum education requirements are:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or a Technical degree in Power Systems or Operations Systems is highly preferred. Requires at least five years’ experience in field operations, substation services, system operations or related utility experience. Supervisory experience is preferred.
The minimum experience requirements are:
- Five years of relevant transmission or distribution experience, preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of standard operations, policies, procedures and systems.
- Demonstrated strong leadership characteristics
- Experience in field operations including a general understanding of design & construction aspects.
The minimum skill requirements are:
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Strong organizational skills, logical thought processes, and excellent written and verbal communications required.
- Able to meet deadlines while managing multiple tasks
- Able to independently assess and prioritize workload for the department on a daily basis while directing the day-to-day electrical operations for the City.
- Able to identify and assess the needs of employees under their direction, recognizing individual skills and capabilities, providing support and direction accordingly.
- Must demonstrate strong leadership skills to provide deliberate guidance and direction for the work group.
- Able to assimilate various sources of information in a short amount of time while maintaining composure and focus, while directing the actions of others in times of crisis.
Measures of Success:
- Ability to work with various technical workgroups within the company and effectively communicate at all levels within the organization.
- Proactively communicates with City Administrator and other stakeholders both verbally and in writing
- Able to provide guidance and tracking for employee training and development
- Successful contribution to the City’s Goals and Objectives
- Able to adapt quickly to changing technology, processes, and procedures
- Available for call-out
Fill out application at City Hall, 301 E. Washington, Norton, or find application online at